Shawn/ June 3, 2016/ Kayaking, Pulau Ubin, Wild Outdoors & Camping/ 0 comments

This was a full on, though very brief, camping trip.

Most of the members of the usual camping gang were free so we made a beeline for a place we call Aiwa. I don’t know why it’s called that. There’s a high chance it’s an internal designation.

But who cares.

We did a bit of fishing before we came here but only a bit.

By the time we arrived, it was dusk.

Someone caught a catfish earlier and so they gutted and cleaned it in the sea water so we could have it for dinner.

While they were doing this, a cuttlefish swam right in front of them. Since everyone likes Calamari, they caught it and prepared that too.

Fendy with his stove.

We each had our own dinner planned and supplemented it somewhat with the catfish and the cuttlefish.

Everyone started feeling sleepy shortly after.

One by one we started to drift off to bed with me being one of the last few as I was testing a new hammock suspension system. It did not go well at first. The cheap paracord I bought from China was useless and it kept snapping.

Nordin, who was nearby, was his usual discouraging self, intent on pointing out the “proper way” of doing it. I listened, but I paid little attention because that was just another way of doing it and with this cheap China paracord, it would not work either.

In this fishing community, there are a ton of people who are always keen (a polite way of putting it) to show you that their way is the only right way. Sometimes these people are friends and other times they can even be complete strangers who walk up to you for no apparent reason other than to gloat.

I started this blog exactly because of that reason! To show people that there were other ways of doing things.

Anyway, eventually, I had to strengthen the suspension system by using multiple parallel lines.

Somewhere in the middle of the night, while my teeth were chattering because of the cold, Herman came over and gave me his blanket. It was nice and warm.

Morning eventually broke and Siti got about to cook breakfast for us.

Then the skies threatened to open. For reasons I forget, I didn’t bring my tarp. The tarps that the other guys brought were inadequate in size and strength and only weakly served as a wind break.

The wind kept howling before the skies eventually poured out. Nevertheless, we cracked on.

Hendrik was supposed to join us but due to the inclement weather, he had delayed his launch. He eventually caught up with us at Aiwa while we were about to leave.

I was supposed to leave in the morning but was delayed as well due to the weather so when everyone was ready to go, I made a beeline for home base before rushing off.

It was a very interesting trip with good food and company and it was a solid foundational experience for my later camping trips.

Shawn started fishing in 1994. He caught his first fish (an Ah Seng) on that very first trip to Changi Carpark 4 (before it was barricaded). He built up his fishing knowledge and gear over the years but still keeps his old gear, just like the memories.

Share this Post

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>